Friday, January 29, 2021

Misc.

1/29/2021

More concerning this exercise of writing.


A considerable part of this has to do with the usefulness of the process of writing itself,

particularly as it relates to the exercise of certain powers of the intellect.  There’s no way

I can recall here and now much of the brain-science of writing, but it’s easy to hypothesize

that there is enough complexity in the action of producing complete sentences and articulating

them in such a way that they are objectively intelligible that it makes for quite a workout

for the brain, after all. In this regard, content is important insofar as it provides sufficiently specific material for the brain to produce sufficiently intelligible and articulable ideas.


A word concerning the purpose of this exercise.


It’s not, then, primarily for producing ready-to-use content for public consumption.  I’m not drafting the texts of my homilies or writing my bulletin articles.  Rather, it’s an exercise whereby I’m strengthening my ability subsequently to sit down and write them.


Peterson’s self-authoring.


I’m interested, somewhat, in the Self-Authoring program. But I wonder how much of its benefits I can already be accomplish on my own by this discipline.  No doubt, his program is battle-tested and mine is, at this point, little more than idea that’s existed for about two minutes.  Still, before I cough up the twenty or thirty bucks, I think I might try to see what good it’ll do me to persist a while at this exercise.